If you are interested in finding work as a Licensed Private Hire taxi driver in London, you will be interested in learning as much as you can about the PCO Licence. This includes what it is and why it is important. If this is the reason you have clicked through to this site and this page, then please read on and find out more.
What Exactly Is The PCO Licence?
PCO stands for the Public Carriage Office who runs a special department of TFL or Transport For London, who runs a licensing scheme for those who work as mini cab drivers in the city. The PCO Licence is essential as no mini cab offices or operators will hire you with one.
If you are attracted to the job because you want to become your own boss and work when you want you need to possess a PCO licence. Therefore, if you want to earn a salary of as much £30,000+ with no real upper limit, only the limits you put on your working days and hours, you will want to know how you go about getting a PCO licence.
How Do I Apply For A PCO Licence?
If you want to apply for a PCO licence and kick-start your career as a London mini cab/private hire driver then there is certain requirements that you need to meet. These requirements are as follows:
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You have held a DVLA, Northern Ireland or EEA (European Economic Area) driving licence for the last 3 years at least.
- You meet the meet the medical standards outlined for DVLA Group 2, that are similar to what is required for coach, bus and large good vehicle drivers. In order to meet these medical standards you need to have a full medical with your GP that lasts just 30 minutes.
- You have undergone a Criminal Records Bureau or CRB check that proves you are a trustworthy and honest person.
- You have evidence that you have the relevant topographical skills that you have the necessary route finding and map reading skills necessary for working as a private hire or mini cab driver in London.
If you are sure that you meet the above requirements, then there is two ways you can apply for your PCO licence – request for Transport For London to post an application form pack out to you or download the application form pack on to your computer. Once you have the forms, they usually take few days to arrive if you have requested them by post, fill them in and then send it back to the TFL with all the necessary documents. You can find more about the application process by clicking here.
Therefore, if you really are serious about a profession in mini cab or private hire driving around the great city of London, then your first step in the right direction towards that profession is securing for yourself a PCO Licence.